PRP (Platelet-Rich Plasma) therapy is a new approach for hair loss. It’s a three step medical treatment in which a person’s blood is drawn, processed and then injected into the scalp. Previously, PRP was used to heal and encourage tissue growth for patient suffering from wound or injury. Now it is being used to encourage dormant hair cell so that they process re-growth.
Process of PRP Therapy
- Your blood sample is collected and then platelets are separated from the blood sample using a machine called centrifuge that spins rapidly to separate fluids of different densities.
- Collected platelets are then mixed with extracted plasma to make it plasma rich platelet.
- After the numbing the treatment are, the PRP injections are then strategically placed around the scalp. After few months, patient should begin to notice improvement in hair volume and full result should be visible with in a year.
This procedure takes about 1 hour and Because your own blood is injected into your scalp in PRP therapy, there is not any risk for getting a communicable disease.
Care to be taken after PRP Therapy
- Treatment area should be washed after 48 hours. After that it is safe to continue with proper medication.
- Hair coloring can be resume after one week of process.
- After six months, you may notice the effect. Repeat treatment may be necessary to maintain hair growth.